A Burger A Week – Siesta Key Oyster Bar
How does an “oyster bar” do at the burger game?
🌟🌟 We’ve got an interactive Burger Map to help us track our Sarasota A Burger A Week adventures. Now your burger info is just a short click away! Take a look at our Sarasota Burger Tracker! – A BURGER A WEEK MAP 🗺️
S-K-O-B, SKOB (and The SKOB), The Oyster Bar, and finally its official label, The Siesta Key Oyster Bar. Yes, this place goes by a lot of different names. And I have heard every one of them at different times. They all pretty much get you to the same place; Siesta Key Village and a super casual and fun place to spend a couple of lazy hours. 🦪
Anyone that lives here in Sarasota knows that from time to time, you’ll probably have visitors. Especially if you have relocated here from a place where the snow can still fly even into April. For me, that place was Chicago. ❄️
It’s been a while since my big move (20+ years). I still haven’t parted ways with my standard-issue metal snow shovel. It hangs safely in my garage. It now does duty as a dustpan versus its originally intended purpose. I’ve kept it as a not-so-subtle reminder of what I left behind (at least weatherwise).
My friends Larry and Kathy Klein still have their snow shovel too (and a snow blower!) And they still need to use it every fall, winter, and spring. So when I offered them a chance to skip out on the last few possibly snow-filled days of April, they could hardly refuse.
I’ve known Larry since the 4th or 5th grade. The exact date is a touch fuzzy. Let’s just say it’s been a bit. I’ve known Kathy for a long time too (not since age 10, but probably 30 years).
They’ve been to Siesta Key a lot over the past 20 years or so. And as you would guess, they’ve developed some of their own favorite places during those trips. SKOB is one of those places. I’m sure you’ve guessed what comes next…
Yep, they are the perfect “ride-along” guests for this week’s visit. I mean, they did travel 1,200 or so miles. I’m guessing they’re probably hungry. They deserve a burger at the very least. 🍔
Up “north,” Larry is in the financial industry, and Kathy works in retail management. When the snow fades and the roads clear, they love to take the “scooter” out for a spin! 🏍️
SKOB is a popular destination. It’s been helping to anchor Siesta Key Village for about 20 years. As you would expect, the place has changed a bit over that time. But it still holds that same “vacation” feel as when it opened.
📝They take all of those dollars down every now and then and gift them to a worthwhile local charity! That’s DECORATION & DONATION! 💵
So the real question we’re here to answer today (with the help of our trusty Windy City tasting assistants) is, can a place with “oyster” so prominently in its name serve a respectable burger? We are about to find out!
Let’s talk about our Siesta Key Oyster Bar burger experience…
RESTAURANT: SIESTA KEY OYSTER BAR (5238 Ocean Blvd. (941) 346-5443)
DATE OF VISIT: MAY 16, 2023
STOP #: 30 OF 52
BURGER TASTED: BLACKENED BLEU CHEESE BURGER
📒 OUR TASTING NOTES
🍔 This burger is served as listed on the menu: Blackened seasoning and bleu cheese crumbles ($15.00)
• This burger had a very forward blue cheese flavor. If you like that, you’ll love this burger. I didn’t get much of the blackened seasoning taste. But I LOVE blue cheese, so that was just fine by me.
• This is a full ½ # burger patty. That means you certainly won’t walk away hungry!
• Larry (the other Larry) did not hesitate for one minute to add bacon to his burger ($1). I figured both Larrys should do that, so I raised my hand too! 🤚 It turned out to be a great decision. I’m thinking bacon should come on this burger as part of the standard toppings. The smokiness works great with the blue cheese tang! It’s something to at least consider.
• There were other condiments on the table. We both thought that using them wouldn’t have really added anything to the burger. Let’s save that ketchup for the fries, shall we!
• Toppings on the bottom (and LOTS of them!). Points for excellent burger construction. ⭐
• THE FRIES. This bullet point is now a staple of these burger pieces. The fries here were good. Crispy and seasoned great. There just needed to be more of them on the plate. IMHO, every burger should come with an abundance of fries! 😁🍟
🍔 BONUS BURGER 🍔
Kathy isn’t quite a vegetarian. But beef really isn’t her thing. She is the polar opposite of her husband, who I would describe as a “meat-a-tarian.” So, for the first time, we are going to give you a little idea of what you’ll get if you order a veggie burger!
• Kathy thought the quinoa, zucchini, carrot, and portabella mixture made for a “softer” patty than the black bean style veggie burger she usually encounters.
• She liked the avocado, tomatoes, and bbq sauce as toppings. They made for a nice flavor and texture contrast.
• Kathy ate hers with a knife and fork. No carrier required. Everybody’s got their own way of doing things! 😀🍴
Let’s check out how all of this looked when we ordered it…
BURGER TAKEAWAYS: $15 puts this right in the middle of the burger price range • The service at SKOB is always great. Diana did a fantastic job the day we visited • It’s located right in the heart of “The Village,” so you can walk off that burger with a little window shopping • They’ve got LIVE music daily. A little quick math, 🍔+🎶=😊
👀 SNEAK PEEK: Next, we’re off to a place that has a burger named after its former location AND comes with chili as a side dish!
✅ Did you miss a week? No worries. Here’s a link to our A BURGER A WEEK SERIES ARCHIVE! 🍔
🗓️ SARASOTA FOOD EVENTS 🗓️
Here are some upcoming local food events that we think you might find interesting. All you need to do is make that reservation. We’ve provided you with a link to more info. (If you have an event, send us the details! (EMAIL IT)
ALL MAY – Epicurean Menu, Portugal – Michael’s On East
WEEKLY POP-UP KITCHEN EVENTS – 99 Bottles Taproom & Bottle Shop
MAY 20 – LAUGHTER in LWR! – GROVE Restaurant
MAY 23 – Hope Family Wines Wine Dinner – Michaels On East
MAY 24 – Collefrisio Wine Dinner – Tiramisu
MAY 25 – “Lavish” Wine Paring Dinner – Andrea’s
MAY 25 – Italian Wine Dinner – Fins at Sharky’s
MAY 25 – Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Tasting – Mademoiselle Paris
JUN 10 – Macallan Pairing Dinner – GROVE Restaurant
JUL 1 – Suncoast Largest Food Truck Rally 3.0 – INFORMATION
🧑🌾 FARMER’S MARKET INFO 🧑🌾
EVERY SUNDAY – Siesta Key Farmer’s Market – DETAILS
EVERY SUNDAY – Farmer’s Market at Lakewood Ranch – DETAILS
EVERY SUNDAY – The Meadows Farmer’s Market – DETAILS
EVERY WEDNESDAY – The Phillippi Farmhouse Market (Oct-Apr) – DETAILS
THIRD THURSDAY NIGHT – RADD Night Market – DETAILS
EVERY SATURDAY – Sarasota Farmer’s Market – DETAILS
EVERY SATURDAY – Downtown Bradenton Public Market – DETAILS
EVERY SATURDAY – Venice Farmer’s Market – DETAILS
🌟 SHARE, FOLLOW, LIKE 🌟
Get information on 350+ Sarasota restaurants on the dineSarasota.com website
Did you miss a story? Here are some of our past Bites – SB ARCHIVE
Do you love our A Burger A Week pieces? – HERE’S THE FULL ARCHIVE 🍔
Check out all of our Videos on our YouTube channel!
Refer a friend to Sarasota Bites. That would make us super happy CLICK HERE!
Email us a question, comment, or suggest a story. SEND EMAIL